Wednesday, April 10, 2013

What Do I Do When Singleness Gets Me Down?


My church is a tough place for a single woman.

Don’t misunderstand – I love my church.  It’s a wonderful church.  I love my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ there.  They are sincere, God-fearing, Christ-exalting people who walk along side me, encourage me, teach me, and even admonish me lovingly when I need it.  They are my spiritual family and I feel so blessed to fellowship, worship, and live out my Christian life among them.

But my church is unusual.  Well over half of the members there are between the ages of 25 and 35, married, with multiple children (averaging three kids per couple).  Take a look around on a typical Sunday and it appears that everyone has a ring on the finger and a baby in the lap.  In fact, recently in our church of only 250 members, there were 22 babies born in one 14-month period.  Next to so many wives and mothers, who seem to be blossoming like delicate tulips in a meadow, a ring-less, childless woman like me can feel like stinkweed growing under a freeway overpass. 

I know, of course, that I’m not stinkweed.  I am a child of God, a daughter of the King.  Along with my married sisters I have been purchased with the blood of Christ, bought at great sacrifice from a doomed existence under God’s wrath, saved and set apart to glorify God.  But there are times when I feel trapped in the ugly emotions that can sometimes accompany long-term singleness:

1.      Envy of those who are married with children.
2.      Bitterness over not having married.
3.      Despondency over being single with few or no marriage prospects.
4.      Anger about the unique trials I must endure as a single woman.



Entertaining any of these feelings makes me vulnerable to attacks from Satan, the world, and my own flesh.  They also make me completely ineffective in my Christian walk.  And they feel horrible.  I don’t like myself at all when I’m envious of others, bitter, despondent, or angry over my singleness and I’m sure my fellow church members aren't edified by my company in those times either.

Have you ever had these dark emotions as a single woman?  If you have you know that they sometimes sneak up on you without warning, like in the following scenarios:

Scenario 1:  You’re talking to a friend, having a lively conversation when suddenly, as she moves her hands in animated discussion, you notice the wedding ring on her finger.  You are painfully aware that you’re still not married.

Scenario 2:  You’re in a supermarket where you see a young mother putting her adorable little girl in the front seat of a shopping cart.  You feel an intense longing for children.

Scenario 3:  Your church is going through a sermon series on the Song of Solomon, celebrating God’s provision of sexual fulfillment and intimacy in marriage.  You feel utterly alone and frustrated.

How do you avoid feelings of sadness, envy, and bitterness when you see others enjoying blessings you long for?  How do you keep from wallowing in self-pity as a reluctantly single woman in a very married Christian world?   What do you do when singleness gets you down?

Mind the Spirit

The apostle Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, told the church in Colossae to “set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth” (Colossians 3:2).  To the church in Philippi, he said, “…whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things” (Philippians 4:8).

These passages are not empty feel-good messages like “Don’t worry, be happy” or “Turn that frown upside down.”  They are not just ethereal reminders about the power of positive thinking.  How you continually think about your singleness, what thoughts you allow to fill your head each day have a direct affect on your spiritual health.  Paul in Romans 8:6 stated this plainly:

“For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace”    

To bring out the meaning of this verse, I like to apply it to myself and personalize it in this way:

For to set the mind on the things Janice wants in life, all the things she feels she is missing, all the earthly blessings she longs for like marriage and children is death.  But to set the mind on all the things the Spirit wants to do with Janice, all the ways He wants to mold her into the image of Christ as a single woman, all the ways He wants to use her to edify and strengthen the church is life and peace.



Don't make bitterness over being single a daily meal.


Single sisters, I have often found this to be true.  The more I focus on all the things I don’t have that everyone else seems to have, the more I dwell on my lack of a husband and children, the more I dry up spiritually.  I find that I cannot worship properly, cannot pray for others, and cannot fully enjoy fellowship with the saints. I lose the joy of my salvation and I completely lose sight of my purpose in Christ.

Furthermore, my attitude, feelings, and thoughts affect not just me and not just others around me, but they affect God.  You read that correctly:  What you dwell on, what dark feelings and emotions you allow to fester in your mind affect the Holy Spirit who lives within you:

“And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice.” – Ephesians 4:30-31

Knowing that God is intimately aware of my thoughts and emotions regarding my singleness encourages me to eschew thoughts of envy, bitterness, and despair.


Rejoice! 

“Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice” (Philippians 4:4).

The above statement by the apostle Paul is not a suggestion.  The word “rejoice” here is a command.  It is our job as Christians to rejoice in the Lord at all times.  This means that rejoicing is not just something we do when everything is going the way we want it to go.   Instead we rejoice in the Lord – we dwell on the riches and glory of the gospel, we remember Christ’s sacrifice on our behalf, we consider how to stimulate our brothers and sisters on to love and good deeds – as an intentional action.

“Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds,” (James 1:2).

James is not joking when he says, “count it all joy”.  He is actually revealing a command, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, to be joyful not in spite of trials, but because of them.  If unwanted singleness for a long period of time, or even for a lifetime, is our portion in this life we should face the unique trials and difficulties of singleness with joy - not bitterness, anger, jealousy of others, or hopelessness.  Why would you do this, you may be asking?  James reveals why in the next two verses,

“…for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness.  And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

If your heart is set on the Spirit, as I mentioned before, you begin to desire what the Spirit desires.  And the Spirit wants you and me to be steadfast in our faith, grounded in our dedication to Christ, and perfect and complete in our sanctification.  Singleness may well be God’s best way to get us there and so, from that perspective, it is a cause for great joy.




Answer the Critic

Don’t allow sinful, angry, discontented thoughts to take up residence in your heart and mind.  The Scriptures tell us to “destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ” (2 Corinthians 10:5).  To see how this works out practically, let’s revisit the three scenarios that often cause trouble for singles, mention the sinful thoughts that sometimes come up in our minds in these situations, and show a proper biblical response to those thoughts.

Scenario 1:  You’re talking to a friend, having a lively conversation when suddenly, as she moves her hands in animated discussion, you notice the wedding ring on her finger.  You are painfully aware that you’re still not married.

Sinful Thoughts: “See that ring on her finger?  Someone loves her and claims her as his own.  But no one loves you.  No one has given you a ring.”

Holy Thoughts: “I don’t have a ring, but that doesn’t mean I’m not dearly loved.  God sent His only Son to die for me so I could be His and live with Him eternally.  Even if I never receive a wedding ring, I know that I am cherished, claimed, and loved by Him.”
(Ephesians 2:4-7, 1 Peter 1:3-4)


Scenario 2:  You’re in a supermarket where you see a young mother putting her adorable little girl in the front seat of a shopping cart.  You feel an intense longing for children.

Sinful Thoughts: “See that cute little child?  You may never have one of those.  You may never know the joys of motherhood.  In short, you may never fully be a woman.”

Holy Thoughts: “I am truly a woman because God made me a woman.  If I can’t indulge my desire to care and nurture others by having my own children, then I will nurture the poor and downtrodden.  I will care for the lost souls of this world and share the love and knowledge of Christ with them.  If I cannot bear physical children, I will do my part to rear spiritual children by sharing the gospel and discipling.” 
(Matthew 28:19-20, 1 Thessalonians 2:7-8)


Scenario 3:  Your church is going through a sermon series on the Song of Solomon, celebrating God’s provision of sexual fulfillment and intimacy in marriage.  You feel utterly alone and frustrated.

Sinful Thoughts: “God created sex and intimacy for all these married Christians around you.  Not for you, though.  You’re doomed to a passionless life of sexual frustration.  God dangles sex in front of you like a juicy carrot and forbids you to take a bite.  God is cruel.”

Holy Thoughts: “God is not cruel.  He created sex, a good and holy gift, but He created me for more than just sex.  I was created to worship God and glorify Him.  I honor Him by keeping the marriage bed pure – either by being sexually faithful to a future spouse or by abstaining from sex as a single woman, even if I never marry.  Though there are surely joys in marital sex and intimacy, honoring God fulfills my ultimate purpose and gives me the greatest joy.”
(1 Corinthians 6:12, John 6:25-35, 1 John 2:15-17)



Married and single Christians work together to display Christ to the world


It’s Not US vs. THEM

As members of the visible body of Christ on Earth, I should not be jealous or envious of my brothers and sisters in Christ who are married and have children because, in the end, we are all on the same team.  It is not ME vs. the Married Ones.  It is US vs. This Dark World.  Marrieds and singles have different roles in the body – married people have the task of displaying the relationship between Christ and His church while the singles have the job of being pure and being devoted to the Lord in body and spirit – but both singles and marrieds are working together to display the image of Christ to our fallen society.  Therefore, I should not seek to compete with married Christians, desiring what they have and being angry or crestfallen when I cannot obtain it.  I should instead work with them willingly and eagerly, encourage them, learn from them, pray for their marriages and their families so that our united efforts will be pleasing to God and a testimony to the world.


Copyright © 2013